MS Outlook Plug-in Installation Guide
The Sugar Plug-in for Outlook allows you to archive emails to Sugar®, synchronize contacts, meetings, calls, and tasks, as well as create new Sugar records. The plug-in is available with all commercial editions of Sugar and must be installed on each computer running Outlook where the plug-in is desired.
This documentation describes how to install the Sugar Plug-in for Microsoft Outlook. For a list of platform requirements and supported environments, please refer to the Plug-ins Supported Platforms page. For additional articles about working with and troubleshooting the Sugar Plug-in for Microsoft Outlook, please refer to the Knowledge Base.
- It is recommended that you uninstall any previous full versions of Sugar Plug-in for Outlook before you upgrade to the latest version.
- Note: If the free trial version of Sugar Plug-in for Microsoft Outlook is already installed on your machine, you can upgrade to the full version of Sugar Plug-in for Microsoft Outlook instead of performing a fresh install.
- When installing the plug-in, you must log into the computer as a full administrator on that local machine. Attempting to install the plug-in from a non-admin user of the computer may not be successful.
- The Sugar Plug-in for Outlook requires several libraries to function. The most commonly needed libraries are included in the installation package. For more information, please refer to the Necessary Libraries section of this page.
- The Windows Management Instrumentation service must be enabled on your machine with the Startup Type set to "Automatic".
Uninstalling Previous Versions of Sugar Plug-in for Outlook
If you have a previous version of the Sugar Plug-in for Outlook installed on your machine, please uninstall the old version prior to installing the new version.
Use the following steps to uninstall a previous version of the Sugar Plug-in for Microsoft Outlook:
- Close your Microsoft Outlook client as well as other Microsoft Outlook-related windows and programs.
- In the Windows Control Panel, click "Add or Remove Programs" or "Programs and Features" depending on your version of windows.
- On the following window, select "Sugar Outlook" then click the "Uninstall" or "Remove" button depending on your version of windows.
- A pop-up message will display asking for confirmation. Click "Yes" to proceed.
- A pop-up message will display asking if you wish to keep the settings.
Note: Click "Yes" if you are upgrading the plugin so you do not lose your plug-in settings. Click "No" to completely remove the plugin and all of its data permanently.
- Once the Outlook plug-in is removed, close the previous window (e.g. Programs and Features).
Note: If the previous version is not removed prior to installing the new version of the Outlook plug-in, then "SugarOutlook" may appear multiple times in the "Add/Remove Programs" or "Programs and Features" window.
Downloading Sugar Plug-in for Outlook
To download the appropriate Sugar Plug-in for Outlook file, log into your Sugar instance, navigate to the Downloads tab in your user profile, and click on the "Sugar Plug-in for Outlook" link. The installation file will save to a location on your computer and work with all supported versions of Outlook.
Installing Sugar Plug-in for Outlook
Installing via Setup Wizard
Once you have downloaded the installation file, you can install the Sugar Plug-in for Outlook via the Setup Wizard using the following steps:
- Navigate to the folder where you saved the downloaded file and extract the contents of the zip file.
- Click the
setup.exefile to run the installation.
Note: A Security Warning pop-up window may appear. Click "Run" to proceed with the installation.
- On the Welcome step of the setup wizard, click "Next" to proceed with the installation process.
- A warning message will display indicating that this version of the plug-in is only available for use with Sugar 7.x and higher. Do not proceed with the installation if you are using a version of Sugar that is lower than 184.108.40.206. Otherwise, click "Next" to proceed.
- On the License Agreement step, select "I Agree" and then click "Next".
- On the Select Installation Folder step, leave the installation directory set to the default path, select "Just me", and click "Next".
- On the Confirm Installation step, click "Next" to start the installation on your computer.
- Once the installation has completed successfully, click "Close" to exit.
- Finally, open up your Outlook mail client and confirm that the Sugar options (e.g. "Archive to Sugar" and "Sync to Sugar") appear under the Home tab on the Outlook ribbon:
Note: If you do not see the Sugar options, the installation may not have completed properly and you should try uninstalling and re-installing the plug-in. For advanced troubleshooting, please refer to the Troubleshooting Installation section.
You may now open Outlook and proceed with Connecting Sugar Plug-in for Outlook.
Installing via Silent Install
Use the following steps to run a silent install for Sugar Plug-in for Outlook:
- Download the appropriate installation file to your desktop.
- Launch the DOS command window and navigate to the unzipped installation directory.
- Run the following command from the command line:
- For x64 (64-bit) platform :
msiexec /i data.package.msi /quiet OFFICE_BITNESS=x64 ALLUSERS=1
- For x86 (32-bit) platform :
msiexec /i data.package.msi /quiet OFFICE_BITNESS=x86 ALLUSERS=1
- For x64 (64-bit) platform :
exitto close the command window.
Connecting Sugar Plug-in for Outlook
After installing the plug-in, you will need to configure the Outlook Plug-in to connect to your Sugar instance so that they can communicate with each other.
Open the Outlook application and use the following steps to connect the Outlook Plug-in to your Sugar instance:
- Click on the prompt in the SugarCRM side panel to open the connection settings:
- In the Connection section under the General tab, enter the URL that you use to access your Sugar instance and click "Connect".
Note: Please be sure to begin the URL with "https://".
- If you have entered a valid Sugar URL, a new window will appear asking for your username and password. Enter the credentials that you use to log into your Sugar instance and click "OK".
- If you have entered your credentials correctly, you will see a success message. Click "OK" to start using the Sugar Plug-in for Outlook.
Note: Sugar instances using single sign-on (SSO) cannot be connected to the Sugar Outlook Plug-in and are not supported for use with the plug-in.
The Sugar Plug-in for Outlook requires several libraries to function. The
setup.exe file will install two of the necessary libraries if needed. Please note that running
data.package.msi will not install the Outlook plug-in.
The required libraries are the following:
- Microsoft Visual Studio Tools 2010 and higher for Office SE Runtime (included in
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 and higher (must be installed separately if not already present on your computer)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable (must be installed separately if not already present on your computer)
Installing Visual Studio Runtime Library
The Visual Studio Runtime library (VSTOR) is typically installed automatically when installing the Sugar Plug-in for Outlook. However, if you do not have the necessary Visual Studio Runtime library (VSTOR), then the library can be installed from the Sugar Plug-in for Outlook installation file using the following steps:
- Navigate to the folder where the Sugar Plug-in for Outlook file is unzipped.
- Select the
VSTOR40folder then double-click on
vstor40_x64.exe(for x64 platform) or
vstor40_x86.exe(for x86 platform).
- Next, click "Extract All" in the dialog box.
- Use the extracted
vstor40_x86.msifile to install the latest version of VSTOR runtime. From the command line, depending on your platform, run the following command:
msiexec /i vstor40_x64.msi /quiet.
The following sections cover steps you can take to troubleshoot installation issues with the Sugar Plug-in for Outlook.
Updating the Required Libraries
If you have trouble with the Sugar Plug-in installing properly, your computer may have outdated versions of the required libraries installed. To resolve this, you will need to complete the following steps:
- In the Windows Control Panel, click "Add/Remove Programs" or "Programs and Features" depending on your version of windows.
- Select "Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime" then click the "Uninstall" or "Remove" button depending on your version of windows.
setup.exeto install the Sugar Plug-in for Outlook which will replace these libraries with updated versions.
Enabling the Installation Logger
If installation problems arise, an administrator user of the machine where the plug-in is being installed can enable detailed logging to capture installation data into a log file. To do so, launch the setup.exe file via command line with the "/I" option (e.g.
C:\Users\username\Downloads\Sugar_Plugin_for_Outlook\setup.exe /l). This will create a new file in the installation folder that contains the log information. If issues persist, you may include the log file with your request for assistance from Sugar Support.
Configuring Outlook to Trust the Plug-in
If you are confident that installation was successful but you do not see the SugarCRM options in Outlook, you may need to tell Outlook that the plug-in is safe to run. In some cases, add-ins are mistakenly disabled by Outlook, but users can set Outlook to "Always enable this add-in" for the Sugar Plug-in for Outlook. For most versions of Outlook, navigate to File > Options > Add-ins and then click the "Go" button next to "Manage: COM Add-ins".
For more information and steps to complete, please refer to Microsoft's documentation.
Last modified: 2018-11-28 21:50:13