Understanding User Types, License Types, and Sugar Licenses
Sugar is purchased with a set number of user seats that allow users to access the application. If your instance has more active users than is allowed by your Sugar license, regular users will not be able to log in and a warning will display. Beginning with version 9.3.0, administrators will not be able to add more users of a particular license type than is allowed by their Sugar license. For more information, please refer to the section below. This article covers which user types count towards your licensed user limits, the basics of license types, and how to manage your licensed user seats. For more information on users in Sugar, please refer to the User Management documentation.
Beginning with version 9.1.0, SugarCloud customers can monitor the number of active users counting against their license and see the breakdown for each license type (e.g., Sugar Serve, Sugar Sell) purchased with their Sugar subscription via the SugarCloud Insights page.
The following are symptoms of exceeding the license limit:
- Regular users are not able to log in.
- For Sugar versions prior to 9.0.x, a warning that the number of active users exceeds the license limit is displayed on the login screen.
- For Sugar versions 10.0.x and higher, a warning that the number of active users exceeds the license limit displays once the user attempts to log in.
- Admin users can log in but are redirected to the Users module.
There are four types of users in Sugar: Regular User, System Administrator, Group User, and Portal API User. Each user type has different functions in Sugar which will vary for each instance. Depending on an organization's use of Sugar, not all of these user types will be necessary. The following sections cover which user types count towards the organization's licensed user limits and which user types are excluded.
Included in License Count
Active users with the following user types are included in your company's license count:
- Regular Users (Active): A regular user is the most common of the user types. These users can access Sugar modules according to team and role restrictions. Each regular user with an active status counts towards your total license count.
- System Administrator Users (Active): Also known as admin users, System Administrator users have administrative rights to all records in Sugar and can perform functions such as creating users and editing system-wide settings. All instances of Sugar require at least one admin user. Each active admin user counts toward your total license count.
Excluded From License Count
The following user types do not count as licenses for your company's license count:
- Inactive Users: Any user with a status of "Inactive" does not count against your license.
- Group Users: This user type is used for inbound email group mailboxes and does not count against your license.
- Portal API Users: This user type includes the Sugar Customer Support Portal user and is used for server-to-server authentication. It does not count against your license.
Beginning with version 9.1.0, the License Type field appears in user records and allows system administrators to grant each user access to one or more Sugar products (e.g., Sugar Serve, Sugar Sell). The options available to select in the field depend on the product(s) purchased by the organization from SugarCRM. So for example, if the organization purchases multiple products such as Sugar Sell and Sugar Serve, both options will be available to select in the License Type field. Each active user must be assigned to at least one product via the License Type field as it determines what functionality the user may access in Sugar. If multiple products are selected, the user will be able to access the combined functionality of all selected options in the field. If your organization has purchased Hint, Hint will be included in the License Type field in Sugar versions 11.0.0 and higher. The Hint license cannot be selected alone and must be applied in conjunction with a CRM license (e.g., Sell or Serve). For more information on the functionality available for each license type, please refer to the User Management documentation.
Note: If your instance is SugarIdentity-enabled and you have created a new user in the SugarCloud Settings console, you should navigate back to Sugar to ensure that the user is assigned to the appropriate license type, especially if your organization has purchased multiple products (e.g., Sugar Sell, Sugar Serve).
Please keep in mind that licensed user limits are calculated for each license type purchased, and an active user assigned to multiple license types will be counted against each. So, an active user assigned to both "Sugar Sell" and "Sugar Serve" will count towards the total license count for each. SugarCloud customers can monitor the number of active users counting against their license via the SugarCloud Insights page.
If your instance has more active users than is allowed by your Sugar license, only administrators will be able to log in but will be redirected to the Users module. Beginning with version 9.3.0, you will not be able to add more users of a particular license type than is allowed by your Sugar license. SugarCloud customers can view the breakdown of the total number of active users counting against a particular license type via the SugarCloud Insights page.
To regain access to your instance, an administrator must log in to do one of the following:
- For versions lower than 9.0.x, reduce the number of active users by deactivating users that count towards the purchased user total. Refer to the User Management documentation for information on deactivating users. Please note that the purchased user total can be found in Admin > License Management. Beginning with version 9.1.0, SugarCloud customers can view the total number of purchased licenses for each license type via the SugarCloud Insights page.
- For versions 10.0.x and higher, reduce the number of users assigned to the particular license type(s) exceeding the limit. You can navigate to the user's record and de-select the specific product (e.g., Sugar Sell) in the License Type field to remove the license type assignment. SugarCloud customers can view the total number of purchased licenses for each license type via the SugarCloud Insights page.
- Purchase additional seats for your organization by contacting your Sugar partner, sales representative, or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Once the license has been purchased, the administrator can revalidate it in License Management. For information on updating your Sugar license, refer to the Sugar Connect documentation for version 10.0.0. For versions 11.0.0 and higher, refer to the System documentation.
If you are not able to add a new user in Sugar due to reaching your license limit, please look into purchasing additional seats for your organization by contacting your Sugar partner, sales representative, or emailing email@example.com.
In Sugar versions 8.1.x and higher, there is a stock report that shows which users count towards your license limit; please refer to the Stock Reports documentation. However, if using a version of Sugar lower than 8.1.x, the Reporting on Users Counting Towards Licensed User Accounts article covers how to create this report manually.
Last modified: 2021-10-14 21:40:42