Integrating With Google for End Users
Sugar's Google connector allows users to import their Google contacts into Sugar® and link documents in Sugar to documents stored on the Google Drive™ online storage service. This article covers enabling the connector for user accounts and utilizing the connector to create documents as well as import Google contacts to Sugar. While this article covers the necessary steps for end users to take, an administrator must have first configured the Google connector for the instance as described in the Integrating With Google for Admins article.
- Before users may connect their Google accounts to Sugar, an admin user must complete the initial, system-wide Google connector configuration as explained in the Integrating With Google for Admins article.
- Individual users must have their own Google accounts to connect to their Sugar user profiles.
Steps to Complete
Once an administrator has configured the Google connector for the instance, individual users can connect their Sugar accounts to Google via their user profiles. Please note that Admin users can also do this for users via Admin > User Management. For more information on connecting users to external accounts, please refer to the User Management documentation.
Use the following steps to activate the Google connector for your user account via your Sugar profile:
- Click the user profile image at the top right of Sugar and select "Profile".
- Click the Edit button to edit your profile.
- Click on the External Accounts tab and then click "Create".
- Select "Google" in the Application field then click the Connect button.
Note: If the Google option is not available in the Application field, the Google connector may not have been configured properly via Admin > Connectors. Please ask your Sugar administrator to check the system's connection to Google. For more information on configuring the connector, please refer to the Integrating With Google for Admins article.
- After clicking "Connect", a pop-up window will appear. Click "Allow" to grant permission for the connection to occur. Google's login screen may appear inside the pop-up if you are not already logged in to your Google account in the active browser window. Simply enter your credentials and then click "Allow" in the next window. Please note that the browser's pop-up blocker must be disabled to ensure that the Google account successfully connects to Sugar.
Note: If the pop-up window displays a "This app isn't verified" warning, you can click the Advanced link then click the "Go to..." link at the bottom of the window to proceed and grant permission for the connection to occur. For more information on this warning, please refer to the Unverified apps article on the Google Cloud Platform Console Help page.
The Google application is now connected to your Sugar user account and should appear under your profile's External Accounts tab.
The following sections explain how to use Sugar's Google connector to import Google contacts to Sugar and to create a document in Sugar that is linked to a document stored on Google Drive.
Importing Contacts from Google to Sugar
Users can import their Google contacts into Sugar via the Import Wizard. Navigate to Sugar's Contacts module and select "Import Contacts" from the Actions menu. In Step 1 of the Import Wizard, choose "an external application or service" and the Google Contacts option will appear. If you are not already signed in to your Google account, click the Sign In button and enter your Google credentials. Click "Next" to proceed to the next step of the Import Wizard.
For more information on importing Google contacts to Sugar, please refer to the Import documentation.
Linking Sugar Documents to Documents on Google Drive
Once a user has created and authorized the external account for Google via their Sugar profile, they can create a Sugar document linked to a document stored in their Google Drive. Documents that the connector may reference include publications created in Google Docs™, Google Sheets™, or Google Slides™, as well as documents uploaded to Google Drive from your local computer or mobile device. Please note that access to a Google document is subject to the sharing settings configured for the document in Google Drive. Sugar's team and role settings will not be reflected in Google.
To create a new Google Doc via the Documents module, simply select "Google Drive" in the document record's Source field to reveal the File on External Source option. Click on the words "File on External Source" then click the arrow button to find and select a document in your Google Drive.
For more information on linking Google Drive documents to the Documents module as well as uploading files to Google Drive, please refer to the Documents documentation.
Last modified: 2021-07-14 22:09:27